The PS4 was a great console, but it’s time to move on. The ps5 is out, and you want to transfer all of your data from your ps4 to the new console.
But you don’t want to go through the process of moving all of your data manually. Luckily, there is a way to do it without using your ps4 at all.
This article will discuss transferring ps4 data to ps5 without using the old console.
- Related: When Does Best Buy Restock PS5?
So read on for more information!
How to Transfer Data from PS4 to PS5
This may be the most straightforward method if you have many games, applications, and other features to transfer from your PS4. If you do not have access to extended storage on your console or PC, this is probably the most accessible approach – but it will require a lot of moving data. This technique only transfers data from your PS4 to PS5.
Note: Before you begin, please ensure that your PS4 has the latest software update installed.
1. After completing the basic setup on your PS5, a Full Data Transfer option may appear. If you rejected it at the time, go to Settings > System > System Software>Data Transfer.
2. Now, you’ll be prompted to have both consoles turned on and linked to the internet. If you only have wifi in your current setup, it’s highly advised that you connect a LAN or Ethernet cable between the two consoles for quicker data transfers.
3. Sign in on both consoles with the same account. Continue with the transfer process until you’re instructed to press the power button down on the PS4 for one second until you hear a beep.
Once the data is ready to copy, select “Yes” from the menu. The PS4 will restart, and you’ll see it begin preparing for the data transfer. Ensure you don’t touch either console or any LAN cable connections while this period is active.
4. When everything is set, you’ll be brought to a screen where you may choose any saved game or app on the PS4. Because certain games have a large file size, so it may save time by not having to re-download them via the internet on your new PS5, but it will still take some time. Make sure to write down the full file sizes of everything you’re choosing as well as the storage capacity of your PS5.
5. Select next until you reach the Ready to Transfer screen after selecting all the games and other files you wish to move. This should give you an idea of how long your transfer will take, depending on your setup.
If the length is longer or shorter than expected, hit cancel to add or remove any selected files before starting the transmission.
Note: Throughout this procedure, your PS4 may shut down at various intervals – this is to be expected, and it might take a few minutes to cycle through.
6. Once the PS4 has finished transferring data, it will restart as well. However, there is a chance that this process may take longer than usual because of how much content you’re moving over from your old console – so don’t be surprised if it says “transferring” or something similar on-screen while downloading progress happens; in real-time!
7. Once all installation tasks have been completed successfully after some additional time (which typically shouldn’t matter), try logging into pS5’s storage options again to ensure everything went smoothly with no errors.
During the transfer of both game files AND save states across multiple platforms compatibility. After that point, enjoy playing through what was recently added.
How to Transfer PS4 Save Files via USB Drive
Two ways to transfer PS4 save files are via a USB storage device or the PlayStation Plus online service.
To transfer PS4 save files via a USB storage device, you must first format the device to exFAT. Once that’s done, connect the USB storage device to your PS4, and head to Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Saved Data in System Storage.
Select Copy to USB Storage Device and choose the game you want to copy data from. Choose which save data you want to copy over and select Copy. The data will now be copied over to your USB storage device.
To transfer PS4 save files via PlayStation Plus, head to Settings > PlayStation Network/Account Management > Activate as Your Primary PS4. Now, connect your PlayStation Plus account to your PS4.
Once that’s done, head to Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Copy to Online Storage. Select the game you want to copy data from and choose which save data you wish to upload. The data will now be uploaded to your PlayStation Plus account.
You can also transfer PS4 save files by backing up your data to a PlayStation Same Network server. To do this, head to Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Backup Utility. Select the game you want to backup data for and choose which save data you wish to upload. The data will now be backed up to a PlayStation Network server.
Restore PS4 save files from a PlayStation Network server, head to Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Restore Utility. Select the game you want to download data for and choose which save data you wish to download. The data will now be downloaded onto your PS4.
How to transfer ps4 data to PS5 using an external drive
You can also use a USB stick, but it will likely be slower. If you want to keep your saves and Trophies, you can transfer them over using the PS Plus Cloud Storage.
Finally, if you have a physical game copy, insert it into your PS5 and select “Install” from the menu. Whichever method you choose, ensure you have enough space on your PS5 before starting the transfer process.
Using an external hard drive is the quickest way to transfer data from your PS4 to your PS5.
First, connect the hard drive to your PS4 and format it for use with the console storage. Then, go to Settings > System > Backup and Restore. Select “Back Up PS4” and choose the external hard drive as the destination for the backup.
Once the backup is complete, disconnect the hard drive and connect it to your PS5. Go to Settings > System > Backup and Restore > “Restore PS4” and select the backup file from the external hard drive.
If you want to keep your saves and Trophies, you can transfer them over using PlayStation Plus Cloud Storage.
First, make sure you have a PlayStation Plus membership, and that cloud storage is enabled on your PS4. Then, go to Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Saved Data in System Storage > Copy to Online Storage.
Your saves will be uploaded to the cloud, and you can then download them on your PS5 by going to Settings > Saved Application Data Management > Saved Data in Online Storage > Download to System Storage.
If you have a physical copy of a game, you can insert it into your PS5 and select “Install” from the menu. The game will install on your PS5, and you can play it without transferring any data.
Make sure you have space on your PS5 before starting the transfer process. Depending on your transfer data, you may need to upgrade your PS5’s storage. You can do this by buying a compatible external hard drive or by purchasing a PS5 game with built-in storage.
Whichever method you choose, transferring data from your PS4 to your PS5 is easy. Make sure you have enough space on your PS5 before starting the process.
Transferring data from PS4 to PS5 is simple, but there are a few essential steps to ensure a smooth transition. Here is a quick overview of what needs to be done:
- Back up your PS4 data. This can be done either manually or through the use of cloud storage.
- Connect your PS4 and PS5 consoles using an Ethernet cable.
- Select the “Data Transfer” option from PS5’s main menu.
- Follow the prompts on-screen to complete the transfer process.
Following these simple steps, you can quickly transfer your data from PS4 to PS5 and enjoy all the new features and games.
This article was originally published on Nov. 24, 2022